Learn more about chickens!
It’s party time! Whether you are taking part in Cinco de Mayo festivities (a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride), planning a party for your birthday, or just having some friends over, piñatas are not only a fun activity but also a great way to talk to your friends and family about animal rights.
Check out these easy instructions for how to make your own (Not a) Nugget piñata that you can fill with vegan candy for your next party!
1 cup flour
2 cups water
Yellow tissue paper
String or rope (enough to hang the piñata)
Construction paper or felt
PETA Kids stickers
1. Mix the flour and water together in a bowl until a thick, smooth paste is formed.
2. Blow up the balloon.
3. Take the newspaper and tear it into strips that are about 1 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long.
4. Dip a strip into the paste mixture and remove any excess liquid by pinching your fingers and running them down the strip.
5. Place the strip on the balloon and smooth it down.
6. Continue until all but the top (where the balloon is tied) is covered. Let dry.
7. Cover the balloon with newspaper strips 3 to 4 more times, letting it dry completely between layers.
8. The next day, pop the balloon and pull out through the hole in the top of the piñata.
9. Have an adult help you cut the yellow tissue paper into strips and make notches in the strips to create feathers.
10. Dip the paintbrush into the paste and paint a line on the piñata. Place a strip of “feathers” over the paste and press gently.
11. Paint the next line of paste close to the first one so that the “feathers” will overlap. Continue pasting on tissue strips until the entire surface of the piñata is covered. Let dry.
12. Have an adult help you cut the yellow tissue paper into strips and make notches in the strips to create feathers.
13. Have an adult help you cut 2 oval “wings” out of the cardboard, then use glue to cover them with “feathers,” too. Let dry, then glue to the sides of the piñata.
14. Cut “eyes” and a “beak” out of the construction paper, then glue them to the piñata. You can also use googly eyes if you have them!
15. Let everything dry overnight.
17. Using the leftover paste mixture, place about 10 layers of newspaper strips over the hole in the top of the piñata so that it will be very strong. Let dry completely.
18. Cover the newly dry area with feathers, then poke 2 small holes in the top.
19. Place string or rope through the holes and hang!
20. Get ready for the best party ever!