Santa’s Favorite Vegan Cookies
Nothing says, “Thanks for all the presents, Santa!” better than a big plate full of cookies. Vegan cookies, that is. So check out this list and head to the store for some premade cookies or cookie dough or ingredients to make your own—because animals like chickens and cows don’t want to suffer and be killed for your holiday treats. You can help save animals just by not eating them and by putting out vegan cookies for Santa! ?
Make Your Own
1 cup vegan butter
1 cup sugar
1 vegan egg (try Follow Your Heart VeganEgg)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking powder
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Vegan frosting and sprinkles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the vegan butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the vegan egg and vanilla and mix again until combined.
- Add the baking powder and 2 3/4 cups of the flour and beat on low speed until a thick dough forms.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining flour and the powdered sugar and generously cover your hands, work surface, and rolling pin with the mixture. Place the dough on the surface and roll to desired thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to make fun and festive shapes, or roll the dough into 1-inch balls and flatten for circular cookies. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before decorating with frosting and sprinkles, if using.
Chocolate-Dipped Holiday Cookies
1 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 drops peppermint extract
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup crushed candy canes
1 cup melted vegan chocolate chips (try Trader Joe’s or Enjoy Life brand), optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter and sugars. Add the applesauce and mix well, then beat in the vanilla and peppermint.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add 1 cupful at a time to the sugar mixture, then stir in the crushed candy canes.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoonfuls of the dough at a time onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Place on wire racks to cool.
- Dip in melted chocolate and top with crushed candy canes, if desired.