Help Your Family Fight Colds With These Vegan Remedies
Oh, no! One of your kids has the sniffles. Now what? The whole family can’t get sick—you’re just about to take the vacation that you’ve been planning all winter! Stress no more: Check out some tried-and-true ways to help kids fight colds.
- Experts recommend drinking 8 ounces of fluids every few hours. There are many options for getting hydrated:
- Vegetable juice, broth, or soup
- Herbal teas such as ginger or Echinacea, which can help boost the immune system
- The vitamin-packed cooking water from boiling broccoli
- Equal parts water and apple cider vinegar, warmed (but not boiled), with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (which is high in vitamin C)
- Set up a vaporizer or a humidifier to help loosen mucus.
- Serve up some spicy foods to help clear sinuses.
There are two kinds of coughs—the productive kind (when the lungs are trying to expel something) and the unproductive kind (that nagging dry cough that doesn’t seem to accomplish anything). Try these remedies:
- Make sure your child’s head is propped up on some pillows during sleep.
- Draw a nice warm bath with cruelty-free bubble bath to help relieve coughing spasms.
- Apply this DIY vegan menthol rub to your child’s chest or back before bedtime.
- Have your child gargle with warm saltwater to help soothe a sore throat (1 to 3 teaspoons of salt per 8 ounces of water).
- To make another throat soother, boil hot water and mix in one part lemon juice to two parts agave syrup, then let cool.
Building Up the Immune System
- Have your child eat foods containing vitamins A (broccoli and dark leafy greens) and C (citrus fruits, kiwis, and tomatoes).
- Avoid offering any concentrated sugars (such as in fruit juice, dried fruit, and anything with added sweeteners) for the duration of the illness.
- Give your child Echinacea, which you can purchase online or in any health-food store.
- Make sure your kiddo gets plenty of sleep!
And Two More Helpful Tips
- Implement frequent hand-washing.
- Avoid smoky environments.
Hope you and your family feel better soon!